Homemade Whitening Toothpaste
While doing some health research recently, I found multiple cautions regarding mainstream toothpaste and (more specifically) fluoride. The topic came up again when I was reading a book called “A Mind of Your Own” by Kelly Brogan and it got me thinking about how I could improve our health through daily product changes. I started searching for homemade whitening toothpaste recipes, since many of the all natural options in the store were more expensive.
My sister, Hope, is a yoga instructor, essential oil gal, and lover of all things natural and homemade- Needless to say, she’s the one I went to when considering my options (Instagram: @hopeful.yogi)! She had switched out their toothpaste for this homemade recipe awhile back- with great results.
This recipe is awesome because it kicks things up a notch by combining the common homemade toothpaste ingredients (coconut oil, baking soda, essential oils) with the polishing, detoxifying, and re-mineralizing power of Bentonite mineral clay!
- 3 Tbsp 3 part Coconut Oil
- 3 Tbsp 3 part Bentonite Clay
- 2 Tbsp 2 part Baking Soda
- 8-10 drops Essential Oils- I do 4-6 drops of Thieves for killing bacteria and 4 drops Peppermint for flavor
- Combine the Bentonite Clay and Baking Soda in small bowl.
- Melt Coconut Oil separately in microwave for a few seconds or on stove top; stir melted coconut oil into the dry ingredients using a rubber whisk or plastic fork (NOTE: avoid using metal utensils to work with the Bentonite Clay as some research states that it will weaken the effectiveness of the clay).
- Add Essential oils and whisk until smooth.
- While mixture is still warm, use plastic funnel to pour toothpaste mixture into a glass jar for cooling and storage. Small glass baby food jars work well for storage, or a glass container like these from Amazon .
Disclaimer: the use of Bentonite clay makes this toothpaste look like dirt. Yep. However, we’ve decided that it’s totally worth getting used to because it makes such a difference! You just have to remember that it’s polishing and whitening your smile with every brush! (Focusing on this helps overcome the initial mental stretch of brushing your teeth with something that resembles mud)
After getting accustomed to the different texture and experience of brushing with Homemade Whitening Toothpaste, we honestly prefer it now. We feel like our teeth are healthier, and we’ve all had only positive dental checkups to report since switching!
You may need to be a little extra gentle the few times you use the Homemade Whitening Toothpaste because the polishing agents are so powerful that it may cause your gums to bleed a little. We found that this was very minimal and our teeth and gums quickly became stronger and this stopped occurring.
Adding this Homemade Whitening Toothpaste to your dental hygiene routine is an easy way for the whole family to be a little healthier! Have you tried any homemade or all-natural toothpastes? I’d love to hear your experiences as well!
New posts every Tuesday and Friday!
For more home tips by Abigail, click this link to check out this post about making the most of your space with 5 easy steps!
For further research about the benefits of Bentonite Clay checkout these resources: