I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Labor Day weekend! We were grateful that the rain paused long enough at our house to let the sun shine on Monday! Since it has been raining a lot this season, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to share one of the ways that I like to make the best of these rainy grey days with my Rainy Day TLC!
Rainy days have a way of s l o w i n g everything down and softening the world. For this reason, I find that rainy days are perfect for a little at-home pampering and a little general TLC!
Intentionally taking a little time to take care of your one-and-only self can make a huge difference in how you feel overall. From personal experience, self care boosts positivity, confidence, and focus throughout the rest of my day. Personal TLC is an investment in YOU!
I prefer to squeeze in a few minutes of TLC at the start of the day to set my mood or at the end of the day to unwind. Focusing on the positive and unwinding any tension that may have built up inside of me allows me to be more present with my relationships and daily tasks.
Here are a few of my favorite go-to Rainy Day TLC supplies:
- Moisturizing cream or oils that smell amazing (think relaxing or energizing!)
- Bubble bath or salts
- Face masks (homemade favorites or a store bought version)
- Beauty supplies (something that you perhaps haven’t taken the time to do lately and will make you feel good, like painting your nails or shaping your eyebrows)
- A relaxing book or magazine
- Sketch book (or other creative hobby that you enjoy)
- Beverage of choice (i.e. cup of herbal tea, hot chocolate, wine, kombucha, etc)
I love combining a few of the above options depending on how much time I have and what I’m feeling at the time. I may choose to simply light a candle and grab a cup of tea, snuggling under a blanket with my journal for a few minutes, or have an all-out at-home spa night where I whip up a homemade face mask and soak in a bubble bath with a magazine in one hand and glass of kombucha in the other!
However this TLC time looks for you, it’s important to be aware of what your spirit needs in order to recharge. This will change depending on your personality, but also depending on what your schedule of activities is at the time and how you are being drained or recharged in your day-to-day life.
Here are some things to consider when planning your personal TLC time:
- Location and atmosphere: Do you need time to simply relax at home in an uninterrupted quiet space, or do you need to call a girlfriend to join you in this time of TLC? Is the living room sofa or the big comfy chair in your room the most relaxing spot?
- Clothing: As my husband can vouch for, I hate being cold. So I’ve developed the habit of having cozy layers available at all times. Think cozy throws, warm socks, house slippers, a plush robe, etcetera. Get comfortable! This is about feeling great and pampering yourself!
- Your current needs: This one is somewhat repetitious, but make sure you take a second to identify what you’re feeling in need of in order to choose the right activity. I am a creature of habit for sure and I have little routines that I do every day, but I have to force myself to stop every once in awhile, check my body, breathing, and thoughts for tension or raggedness and make sure that I am taking care of myself how I need to.
- Time: This may seem obvious, but if you don’t have time for a bubble bath and spa night tonight, don’t skip your TLC time! Ask yourself what amount of time you can set aside, or how you can weave in some TLC elements into your evening routine instead of skipping it all together. Sometimes we “throw the baby out with the bathwater” as the saying goes, and we end up neglecting ourselves entirely instead of finding small ways to minister to ourselves when we need it!
I hope this post inspires you in some way or encourages you about the importance of self-care! Whether it’s a rainy day or not, take a moment each day (or as often as you remember) to do an internal check and find ways to recharge. It can be so easy to run from one task to the next and then find yourself drained and exhausted wondering why. Treat yourself with more love and honor this week so that you can have more positivity and energy to give to the world!
Happy recharging! 😉